Tuesday, September 8, 2009

We might as well win

The directeur sportif of Lance Armstrong during his 7 Tour de France wins was a Belgian man by the name of Johan Bruyneel. His philosophy that was the driving force behind his wins with Lance goes something similar to this. We've put in the many hours of training, mentally planned ourselves, our teammates, and our support staff for this race, we have bothered to show up and compete. We did not do all of this with the goal of coming in second. Therefore, because we have already expended all of this effort for the sake of the race, we might as well win.

I think this can fit with som many other things that it would take me forever to list them. Instead, the two that are most relevant to me right now are a career choice and marching band.

In my future career, and as of right now my education in general, I feel that I have been given the tools to succeed, and therefore have a duty to those who graced me with those tools to give it my bery best. Anything less would be a let down not only to them, but to myself. I think too often people underestimate themselves and society loses a person that could have done a lot more with their talents and blessings had they taken the initiative in the first place.

As far as marching band goes, it fits together so well with Johan's statement that they are like two puzzle pieces. In marching band, we log countless hours of practice and planning, both musically and visually, we prepare ourselves for months on end, we rely on the help and support of our parents and volunteers, and we spend the money traveling and accomodating all the needs of a competition. We did not do all of this expecting to get second or third place. If we are going through all the trouble in the first place, we might as well get the best result possible. We might as well win.

Bruyneel has revealed himself to be not only the greatest athletic mastermind of our time, but he is also one of the smartest individuals on the planet period to be able to come up with such a statement that has so many outlets in which to be applied. No wonder he has experienced such enormous success.

No comments:

Post a Comment