Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Associated Press Athlete of the Decade

Recently announced was the Athelete of the Decade. The result was very surprising to me. Who was it? None other than our friend, Tiger Woods. Now personally, apropos to the recent scandalous events that have taken place with Mr. Woods, I have nothing against the man. As Paulo Coelho said, "Who among us can throw the first stone?" Certainly not me. My personal choice for the award, Lance Armstrong, can in second with 33 votes (behind Tiger's 56). I just can't agree with Associated Press in their judgment of Tiger as a better athlete than Lance. He walks around and hits litte white balls into holes, playing against old, fat, white men. Lance rode in the Tour de France (and won it) no less than 7 consecutive times. This is a race that lasts for 3 weeks (that's twenty one days) and each day is a stage that is anywhere between 100 and 180 miles, ridden at speeds around 30 mph, in a pack of 180 riders that are all moving individually literally inches from you. Not only did Lance ride this 7 times, but he won it 7 times, in a very dominating fashion. Oh, and did I mention that he did this after two years away from the sport, after given less than a 10% chance of living from testicular cancer that had metestacized into his abdomen (and lungs and brain.) Surely there is no comparison when it comes to superbness of physical fitness (which, the last time I checked, was what being an "athlete" was all about.)
But my vote doesn't count. So, Chapeau, Tiger. You deserve it (or your sponsors for whom you made millions of dollars who no longer support you do.) I honestly have nothing at all against Mr. Woods. My anger is not directed at you. It is for the imbeciles who run the Associated Press who base their opinions on financial worth, rather than human sacrifice and glorious achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment