Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Every few decades a book comes along that changes the lives of its readers forever.

This sentence is on the back of the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I didn't notice it until I had finished the book, oddly enough, and I'm glad that I didn't until then. I think that if I had seen it before reading, I would have judged it with a skeptical eye. Thankfully though, I was able to keep an objective mind while reading the book.
Now that I'm done with it, and I see that line, I ponder for a moment and realize that there isn't a better way to describe this book by Mr. Coelho. This book has impacted my life, and I am just thankful that I had the opportunity to read it while I still can make some life choices.
Before I read this book, I figured that I would get into a career that paid well, so that I would always be financially comfortable. This book has taught me though that I might not be truly happy unless I forget about how much I'm getting paid for a career and instead focus on whether or not it makes me happy. In this sense, the book has become a life saver, meaning that I think I will consider my choices more closely, rather than following the money or the paths of others.
So thank you, Paulo Coelho. For a man who "can't write", you certainly are one of the wisest people on the planet.

1 comment:

  1. I thought that quote on the back was a bit overreaching before I started reading it, but then was surprised to find that it did impact me (even at my age) as I read along.

    ReplyDelete